Disclaimer: “I AM NOT A HATER, I AM ACTUALLY A BURNA BOY CRUSADER AND BELIEVE HE IS AMONG THE MUSICAL ELITE IN NIGERIA, AN ELITE LIST OF MINE THAT FEATURES DAREY, NNEKA, ASA, FELA, 2 FACE etc….”
I am just a disappointed fan, Burna Boy is a HUGE music talent and when I saw a NEW album- African Giant, I did a double back flip (In my mind though). This is the season of good music, not since D’banj has the musical gods smiled this hard on African music. Brown Skin Girl and the entire rave then this (Never mind whatever O.B.O is doing, yep, on that one I agree, I am a hater, promoted noise that one).
So, I went on my merry way to source for African Giant. I couldn’t wait to enjoy myself, my waist moved on its own accord as I remembered Run My Race, Gbona and Ye (My Burna Boy Favourites). My jaw dropped though when I looked through the track list of the supposed NEW album with about 5 previously released singles. Uncle would have me believe he has been working on this the entire year? He had this album titled on September 27, 2018, when he released Gbona? I said to myself “Don’t panic, 5 songs down, you still have 14, you can still achieve transcendence.”
I waited and waited for my spirit to leave my body, but it didn’t happen. Burna had failed me and those previously released tracks trumped whatever he was doing on the other 14. In effect- an OLD album with new promotional cover. So here is all I think was wrong with the album:
- Complex: I think Uncle is too bothered with proving himself. Nigeria’s Kanye West. Oga relax, I wish you knew just how highly rated you are and how much you are revered. We love you, we love what you do with Afro beat, fusion et al. We want you to relax, so your music comes off a little effortless. Stop coming off as fighting with some invisible power.
- Style: Uncle this album is ONE LONG SONG divided into 19 tracks, same sound over and over again making it enjoyably boring. We love your music and your sound but don’t beat us to death with it. This really can be likened to Kid Cudi releasing a 19 track album of hums because he knows his fans love em. I waited for THE SOUND (something new), a new theme, concept or shock value lyrics. I got zilch.
- Obsession with Grammy: 9ice- “Don’t doubt me, I would bring home Grammy.” Olamide- “If I no win Grammy, no be my mama born me.” Burna Boy- “One day e go better, we go carry Grammy.” While Olamide came off as totally delusional, Burna Boy actually does deserve a Grammy award (I mean if Cardi B has one) but he should be reminded that no one ever won a Grammy award by singing about winning it.
Dear Uncle Burna Boy, idiots like me remain the reason why you would get back in that studio and murder the microphone. We are rooting for you. Grammy is too small for you. It is still fine if all you want is to be rated above Davido, we would settle with you however we know the table we expect you to be seated at, a very small table, say only five chairs for artists all over the world.
True Artistry Shall Rise Above Mediocre
- African Giant 5/10
- Anybody 7/10
- Wetin Man Go Do 4/10
- Dangote 8/10
- Gum Body ft Jorja Smith 1/10
- Killin Dem ft Zlatan 6/10
- Omo 6/10
- Secret ft Jeremih & Serani 5/10
- Collateral Damage 9/10
- Another Story ft Manifest 5/10
- Pull Up 5/10
- Blak Ryno (Skit) N/A
- Destiny 7/10
- Different ft Damian Marley & Angelique Kidjo 8/10
- Gbona 10/10
- On The Low 10/10
- Show & Tell ft Future 6/10
- This Side ft YG 4/10
- Spiritual 5/10